The Research Annex contains 8,000 monographs and 245,000 serial holdings with broad strengths in the following areas of the 19th and 20th centuries:
- Applied science and technology
- Natural and physical sciences
- History and culture
- Fine arts, especially Modern Art
- Museum reports from all over the world
- Smithsonian publications, including the bulletin of the National Museum, annual reports for both the Institution and the National Museum
Unique specialized collections include:
- Culinary Historians of Washington (CHoW) Collection
- Easter Island archival materials, the Robert P. Anderson Collection
- Aerospace Legacy Reports Collection
- Auction catalogs, chiefly from Sotheby’s and Christie’s
The facility features a modern reading room with connections for laptops and cameras, and a microform reader.
Researchers must call or email Mike Hardy in advance of any visit to ensure materials are available for viewing.