Circulation for SI Staff
Circulation Privileges, Policies and Procedures for SI Staff
Requirement for Checking Out Books
You must have a Smithsonian Libraries library card to check out books. Only Smithsonian Institution badge-holders may apply for a library card. To apply for a card, fill out the Borrower Registration Form at the bottom of this page and submit the completed form to your servicing library.
Please note that if you are not considered permanent staff, emeritus staff, or permanent affiliated agency staff you MUST have your SI supervisor or sponsor endorse in the designated area on the form.
Types of Material That Can Be Borrowed
- Books in general circulating collections
- Microforms and audiovisual material
- Bound journals (with some exceptions—check with the staff at your library)
Books checked out by permanent, emeritus and permanent affiliated agency staff have a six-month loan period. Other categories of borrowers generally have a one-month loan period. Microform and a/v material generally have a one-month loan period, regardless of borrower category.
Requesting a Book
Books may be requested using the assistance of library staff at any SIL library. You may also request items online via SIRIS our online catalog. Using this method will require a brief registration with the SIL's online borrowing system.
- When a “Request Copy” is placed in SIRIS (HIP) the request will become an ILLiad request.
- The “Request Copy” OpenURL link will direct you to the ILLiad logon webpage. First time ILLiad users may register using the First Time User Button near the top of the page..
- Once successfully logged in the ILLiad request form will be populated with SIRIS bibliographic information.
- If requesting an article from a journal bibliographic record the citation fields of the ILLiad request form will need to be completed.
- Any additional notes may be placed in the note field. Once submitted the ILLiad request will be directed to the holding SIL branch.
- If the SIL branch can not supply, the request will automatically become an interlibrary loan request.
- For questions please contact the ILL Office at 633-1245.
All books are subject to recall after they have been checked out for at least 14 days. You will receive a notice that a book you have is being recalled for another borrower; the notice will advise you of a new due date.
If a book required for your research is checked out and you need it sooner than its current due date you should ask the staff at your servicing library to recall it for you. This function is not available through My Account.
All books may be renewed in a variety of ways, including online using the My Account feature, email, and phone. There is no limit to the number of times you may renew books. There may be circumstances that will block renewal. If you have questions contact your servicing library.
Overdue Notices, Fines and Lost Books
When your books go overdue you will receive a printed notice and there will be a tally in the Number of Blocks online in your My Account. You are expected to renew or return the books as soon as possible after receiving notification.
SIL does not charge overdue fines. However, if a book is considered lost or damaged beyond repair you have the option of replacing it or, if replacement is not possible, a charge of $150.00 plus a processing fee will be levied.
Requesting Articles from Periodicals
Check the SIL catalog to find out which library has the periodical. You may visit, phone or fax the library or send an email. Be sure to have as complete a citation as possible.
You may drop off library material at any SIL library or send it through interoffice mail.
Material Not Held by SIL
Please see the information on Interlibrary Loan for material not owned by SIL. If you have questions contact your servicing library.