The Smithsonian Libraries’ Adopt-a-Book Program allows you to commemorate an occasion, celebrate a milestone, honor a great achievement, or leave a legacy for a loved one while providing essential funding which supports conservation, acquisition, and digitization of books and manuscripts held by the libraries of the world’s largest museum complex and research institution.
Your adoption supports the Smithsonian Libraries' mission by helping us:
- Build our collection and provide more research resources for users around the world
- Preserve treasures for future generations through conservation (learn more about book preservation here)
- Make materials available through digitization, bringing knowledge to curious minds everywhere
When you adopt a book, you will be acknowledged with:
- A virtual bookplate in our online catalog
- An adoption certificate and information sheet about your volume
- On a physical bookplate in your selected item
Adoptions of $500 or more will allow for participation in the Smithsonian Libraries Society, our giving program that provides exclusive engagement opportunities for annual Smithsonian Libraries supporters.
If you would like to adopt a book in honor of or in memory of someone, please indicate this during your adoption. All Adopt-a-Book donations are tax-deductible. Donors will receive a gift acknowledgment from the Smithsonian Libraries Advancement Office and a tax receipt from the Smithsonian Institution.
We truly appreciate your generosity and your ongoing support of the Smithsonian Libraries.