The Smithsonian Libraries and Archives’ Adopt-a-Book program allows you to commemorate an occasion, celebrate a milestone, honor an achievement, or leave a legacy for a loved one while providing essential funding which supports conservation, acquisition, and digitization of books, manuscripts, and archival materials held by the the world's largest museum libraries and archives system.
Your adoption supports the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives by helping us:
- Build our collection and provide more research resources for users around the world
- Preserve treasures for future generations through conservation (learn more about preservation here and here)
- Make materials available through digitization, bringing knowledge to curious minds everywhere
When you adopt, you will be acknowledged with:
- A virtual bookplate in our online catalog
- An adoption certificate and information sheet about your item
- On a physical bookplate in your selected item
If you would like to adopt in honor of or in memory of someone, please indicate this during your adoption. All Adopt-a-Book donations are tax-deductible. Donors will receive a gift acknowledgment from the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives Advancement Office and a tax receipt from the Smithsonian Institution.
We truly appreciate your generosity and your ongoing support of the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives.