Get a Library Account
Anyone with an active Smithsonian network account may apply for a Library Account. There are two types of access and borrowing privileges:
This is a standard library account for SI Community members who have a Smithsonian identification badge. It includes the ability to borrow books and other materials and create an ILLiad account for interlibrary loan privileges. To request an account:
- Complete the Library Account Form.
- Send it to AskaLibrarian@si.edu or drop it off at any library branch location.
For individuals who do not have an SI Badge, the Libraries offers a PDF-Only account. This allows for the creation of an ILLiad account for requesting electronic copies (PDFs) of articles and book chapters via interlibrary loan. To request a PDF-Only account:
- Complete the Library Account Form and check the “PDF-Only" option in the upper right corner of the form.
- Send your completed form to AskaLibrarian@si.edu from your active SI-email account.
Important note for permanent SI staff without an SI badge or non-permanent SI Community members:
- Complete the bottom part of the form with your supervisor’s information and have your supervisor email us for verification of your employment status.
- We need to receive two emails from SI email accounts, one from you and one from your supervisor.
- PDF-Only accounts can be updated to a Full Privileges account anytime once an SI Badge is provided.
More information on library services for the Smithsonian Community can be found on the Libraries’ Access Options for the Smithsonian Community page.