Aeronautics Research Guide
- Associations Societies
- Libraries and Archives
- Other Resources
- Smithsonian Resources
- U.S. Government
Welcome to the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' Aeronautics Research Guide. This is a select list of mostly freely-available resources for students, teachers, and researchers to learn about aeronautics. It is complimented by our Astronomy Research Guide and our Earth and Space Sciences Research Guide. Please feel free to Contact Us with suggestions for additional resources or with questions.
- NASA Dryden Aircraft Photograph Collection: This collection contains digitized photos of many of the unique research aircraft flown at NASA Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB, California. These images date from the 1940s to the present. No copyright protection is asserted for these photographs.
- World War I Modeling: Information about creating W.W.I aircraft models, including numerous illustrations.
- Air Transport Association: Timely information about the air transportation industry.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics: Overview of the principal organization serving the aerospace profession. Its primary purpose is to advance the arts, sciences and technology of aero- and astronautics.
- The Ninety-Nines International Organization of Women Pilots
- Franklin Institute Flights of Inspriation
- Pan American Historical Foundation
- NASA Aerospace Education Services Program: Free nationwide program in aerospace education.
- Adventure Lounge: Early aircraft designs from U.S. patent applications - commercial site.
- Air Times: Virtual museum of the airline industry.
- Aviation Home Page: Commercial site for aviation products and information.
- Landings: Aviation directory featuring updated databases, aviation news and news forums - commercial site.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS): Index to NACA technical reports on aeronautics.
- National Air and Space Museum's (NASM) Aeronautics Division: Division responsible for the collecting and historical research at the National Air and Space Museum.
- Planes of Fame: Provides historical information on famous and infamous aircraft.
Warbird Index: Index of historical military aircraft.
Libraries and Archives
- George Palmer Putnam Collection of Amelia Earhart Papers
- National Air and Space Museum Archives Division
- Royal Aeronautical Society Library: Oldest aerospace library in existence.
- San Diego Air and Space Museum Library: Library/Archives for the San Diego Air and Space Museum Library.
- Air Heritage, Inc.: Features active restoration shop and displays from the beginning to the present civilian, commercial and military aircraft.
- Air Times: Virtual museum of airline history - commercial site.
- Aviation Museum of Santa Paula: Museum located in Santa Paula, California that showcases antique, experimental and ultralight aircraft.
- Aviation Museums of the World: Listing of aviation museums around the world - commercial site.
- Beechcraft Heritage Museum: Museum located in Tullahoma, Tennesee,dedicated to Beechcraft Aircraft.
- College Park Aviation Museum
- International Women's Air and Space Museum: Museum located in Cleveland, Ohio is dedicated to preserving the achievements of women in aviation and aerospace and promoting education of women's aviation history.
- National Soaring Museum: Museum located in Elmira, New York is dedicated to preserving the heritage of motorless flight.
- Planes of Fame Air Museum: Museum located in Chino, California and Valle, Arizona. The museum is dedicated to the preservation, perpetuation and exhibition of historical aircraft, and to the people who devoted their lives to flight.
- Seattle Museum of Flight: Largest flight museum on the West coast.
- Tillamook Air Museum: Museum is located in Tillamook, Oregon in a WWII blimp hangar. The museum showcases combat aircraft.
- Virginia Air and Space Center: Overview of a leading air and space museum.
- Western North Carolina Air Museum: The museum is located in Hendersonville, North Carolina. This museum preserves the aviation heritage of North Carolina.
- Wings of Eagles and National Warplane Museum: A museum located at the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport in Horsehead, New York. The museum showcases from aircraft from the Golden Age of flight after WWI through the Vietnam era.
- Wings of Honor Museum: Located in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas, this was the first bone yard for aircraft. This is where all of the WWII aircraft were returned.
- Aeronautics Timeline: NASA history of aeronautics and astronautics timeline.
- Aerotech News & Review: Focuses on the aerospace and defense industries - commercial site.
- Air Force History Index: Searchable index of 550,000 U.S. Air Force historical documents maintained by the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA).
- Proceedings of the United States Naval Institute (1874-1923) via Internet Archive: Full text access through the Internet Archive to journal published by and for U.S. Navy professionals and interested civilians.
- Tuskegee Airmen: History and photos of the African American WWII pilots.
- Women in Aviation: Resource center listing educational, historical and networking information for and about women in avation.