Library Telework Updates for SI Staff
Branch Access | Access to Electronic Resources | Library Training Opportunities| Interlibrary Loan | Overdue Materials
As a public health precaution due to COVID-19 (coronavirus), as of March 18, 2020, all Smithsonian Libraries' physical branch locations are closed to SI staff and the public. However, branch staff will continue to be available via email. Please contact your branch librarian, or AskaLibrarian@si.edu, with any questions you may have.
- Those with a Smithsonian network account (username and password) can access the Smithsonian Libraries’ subscription-based e-journals, e-books, and databases while working off-site without Citrix. For instructions on accessing e-resources from anywhere, see the step-by-step instructions on this page.
- Recently, many publishers and vendors announced they are removing paywalls and other restrictions to select electronic journals, books, and other resources, and Smithsonian Libraries is adding those resources as they become available. We have developed a page with information on how to access this expanded content.
Please visit our Library Trainings page for the schedule for the below trainings, as well as links to online trainings from some of our database vendors.
- Orientation to the Smithsonian Libraries for Teleworkers
- Introduction to the Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Introduction to Artstor
Interlibrary loan requests for articles and book chapters submitted via ILLiad (https://sil.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/logon.html) will be filled by the Libraries' Resource Sharing staff. They will send the item via electronic delivery (as a PDF) to your ILLiad account.
It is not possible to process requests for physical materials at this time. All shipping and deliveries of physical materials has been suspended for this period within Smithsonian Libraries, as well as around the world. If you have specific questions, please contact the Libraries' Resource Sharing Department: ILL@si.edu.
Interlibrary Loan books:
- Assume that all interlibrary loan books borrowed from other institutions have been renewed through May 29, 2020.
- Please do not return the books directly to the lending library, as most of those libraries are also closed and not receiving returned books.
- If you have specific questions, please contact the Libraries' Resource Sharing Department: ILL@si.edu.
Smithsonian Library books:
Please assume that all borrowed materials will be due May 29, 2020.
If you would like, it is easy to renew items yourself online. You just need your library card number in order to do this:
- Go to: http://siris-libraries.si.edu/
- Go to the tab labeled “My Account” and log in using your library card number.
- Once logged in you will see an “Account Overview” of Items Out, Hold Requests, Blocks, and Profile.
- Click on the “Items Out” link to get a listing of the items checked out to you.
- If you want to renew, check the box next to the item(s) and click the “Renew” button at the beginning or end of the list. You should notice the due dates changing on the right-hand side.
If you are blocked or can't find your card number, please contact your branch librarian.