Library Telework Updates for SI Staff
Access to Electronic Resources | Training Opportunities | Library Branch Access | Accounts and Interlibrary Loan | Overdue Materials | Smithsonian Institution Archives | Submit to SRO
During extended telework the Smithsonian Libraries is available to meet your research needs. The information below highlights the changes to accessing resources, training opportunities, and what to do about those overdue books. For questions about these topics or any other concerns you might have, please contact a branch librarian, or AskaLibrarian@si.edu.
Access to Electronic Resources
- Those with a Smithsonian network account (username and password) can access the Smithsonian Libraries’ subscription-based e-journals, e-books, and databases while working off-site without Citrix. For instructions on accessing e-resources from anywhere, see Off-Site Access to Smithsonian Libraries’ Electronic Resources for step-by-step instructions.
- During the pandemic, many publishers and vendors announced they are removing paywalls and other restrictions to select electronic journals, books, and other resources. See Expanded Access to Electronic Resources for information on how to access this expanded content.
Visit our Training Opportunities page to view upcoming trainings, including the General Orientation for Teleworkers (in English and Spanish), Biodiversity Heritage Library, Artstor and others, as well as links to online trainings from some of our database vendors.
As a public health precaution due to COVID-19 (coronavirus), as of mid-March 2020, all Smithsonian Libraries' physical branch locations are closed to SI staff and the public. However, branch staff will continue to be available via email. Please contact a branch librarian, or AskaLibrarian@si.edu, with any questions you may have.
Accounts and Interlibrary Loan
Access Options for the Smithsonian Community outlines the accounts, borrowing privileges, and interlibrary loan processes for members of the Smithsonian community.
During the pandemic, interlibrary loan requests are limited to electronic scans/PDFs of articles and book chapters submitted via ILLiad. However, if you have an urgent need for a specific book, please contact AskaLibrarian@si.edu. If you are new to the Smithsonian, you can request an ILLiad account by first Getting a Library Account.
During extended telework, please do not be concerned about overdue materials. If you have library books checked out, please hold onto them until we resume library operations.
Interlibrary Loan books:
- Assume that all interlibrary loan books borrowed from other institutions have been renewed through September 30, 2020. If you receive an overdue notice it will be an error so please ignore it at this time.
- Please do not return the books directly to the lending library, as most of those libraries are also closed. The Smithsonian Libraries’ Resource Sharing office will process and return the books when our onsite services resume.
- If you have specific questions, please contact the Libraries' Resource Sharing Department: ILL@si.edu.
Smithsonian Libraries' books:
If you want to renew your books online yourself, see Access Options for the Smithsonian Community for directions.
Smithsonian Institution Archives
As a public health precaution due to COVID-19 (coronavirus), the Smithsonian Institution Archives is closed to the public as of mid-March 2020.
SI Archives continues to provide remote reference services to the extent possible. You may submit questions regarding your archival research, records management, Smithsonian history, or image rights and reproductions using the Reference Inquiries form or by emailing email@example.com.
Submit Items to Smithsonian Research Online
Access to this submission page is restricted to the Smithsonian network, either through Citrix or telework.si.edu. If using telework.si.edu, type or paste the URL, staff.research.si.edu/contribute, into the text box on the upper left corner of the site (see image). This will bring up the SRO web submission form where information can be entered as usual. Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.