History and Culture Resources
- Databases for History and Culture Research
- History and Culture Research Guides
- History and Culture Libraries at the Smithsonian
Welcome to the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' resources for history and culture. These resources were gathered to help students, teachers, and researchers explore resources at our libraries and beyond. Please feel free to Contact Us with suggestions for additional resources or with questions.
- Smithsonian Libraries and Archives offers staff and onsite visitors access to many Databases for History and Culture Research.
- A complete listing of Libraries and Archives' databases is located on our E-journals, E-books, and Databases.
Explore freely available history and culture resources compiled by subject experts within Smithsonian Libraries and Archives.
- Aeronautics Research Guide: A select list of mostly freely-available resources for students, teachers, and researchers to learn about aeronautics.
- American Art and Portraiture Research Guide: General topics in American art, American history and biography, art appraisals, and more.
- American History Research Guide: Extensive list covering American history and culture, political science, military history, women's history, American immigration, as well as the history of science, medicine and technology.
- American Indian Research Guide: Associations, research centers, and Smithsonian resources related to American Indian studies.
- Anacostia Community Research Guide: Topics related to African American history and culture, as well as urban communities.
- Astronomy Research Guide: Resources focusing on general areas of astronomy.
- Earth and Space Sciences Research Guide: Resources in areas of earth and space science as they relate to astronomy and space exploration.
- History of Science and Technology Research Guide: Resources on many fields within the history of science, along with some of its major personalities.
- Postal History and Philately Research Guide: Resources on postal history and philately (stamp collecting).
- Rare Books on Natural History Research Guide: Includes resources about digitized rare books and exhibitions at the Smithsonian and other valuable rare book infromation.
Contact the subject librarians at our History and Culture libraries for more details on resources and access to collections.
- Anacostia Community Museum Library: The Library supports the Anacostia Community Museum's mission, which is to document and preserve communities’ memories, struggles, and successes, and offer a platform where diverse voices and cultures can be heard.
- National Air and Space Museum Library: A premier aviation and aerospace history collection, the library supports research by the Museum’s curatorial staff and aviation researchers around the world.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Library: The Library supports the mission of the museum, and the research and documentation of all aspects of the African American experience.
- National Museum of American History Library: A premier American history collection covering all areas of American history and culture, including social, economic, technological and scientific developments.
- National Postal Museum Library: Contains more than 40,000 books, journals, catalogs, and documents, and is among the world's largest postal history and philatelic research facilities.
- Smithsonian Libraries Research Annex: The most subject-diverse branch within the Smithsonian Libraries system, with extensive serials holdings as well as monographs, and many unique and specialized collections.
Vine Deloria, Jr. Library, National Museum of the American Indian: The Deloria Library supports the National Museum of the American Indian Museum, the Cultural Resources Center, and the George G. Heye Center in New York City.