- Science Libraries at the Smithsonian
- Databases for Science Research
- Science Research Guides
- Research Resources at SI (SI staff)
The Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' subject specialists curate lists of research resources on natural and physical sciences topics to help researchers, teachers, and students access materials from our collections and beyond. Contact Us with suggestions for additional resources or with research questions.
Science Libraries at the Smithsonian
- The Science Libraries at the Smithsonian hold extensive collections on every aspect of the natural and physical sciences. Contact the subject librarians at each location for more details on resources and access to collections.
Databases for Science Research
- Databases for Science Research: A list of free and subscription-based databases and electronic resources.
- E-journals, E-books, and Databases: A complete listing of the Libraries and Archives' databases and electronic resources.
Science Research Guides
- Anthropology Research Guide: Smithsonian and other web-based resources related to archaeology, ethnology, anthropology, Native American studies, and linguistics.
- Botany and Horticulture Research Guide: Links to many plant databases and gardening catalogs, as well as botany and horticulture libraries.
- Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Ecology Research Guide: Information and research about the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem, resources on invasive species, and links to environmental research libraries, organizations, and agencies.
- Earth and Space Sciences Research Guide: Resources in areas of earth and space science as they relate to astronomy and space exploration.
- Entomology Research Guide: Information about the National Museum of Natural History Entomology collection, illustrations and databases about insects, and links to projects related to butterflies and arachnids.
- Funding Guide for COVID-19 Pandemic Related Initiatives and Projects: Developed for Smithsonian staff, this guide includes tips for finding funding, as well as links to grant databases, curated funding opportunities, and a comprehensive database on COVID-19-related citations.
- Geosciences Research Guide: Information about National Museum of Natural History's Global Volcanism and Antarctic Meteorite programs, links to many geoscience datasets, and databases about minerals and rocks.
- History of Science and Technology Research Guide: Learn more about the many fields within the discipline of science and some of its major personalities.
- Invertebrate Zoology Research Guide: National Museum of Natural History resources about the small crustacean copepods and the cerion land snails, links to C. Elegans-related databases, and information about resources related to many other invertebrates such as corals and sea urchins.
- Maps of Panama Research Guide / Guía de Mapas: This guide contains information about the map collection in the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Library, digitized maps in the Smithsonian collections available online, and other valuable map information.
- Maps Research Guide: Links to map collections, a cartographic dictionary, and glossary resources.
- Natural History Research Guide: Resources from the National Museum of Natural History and its libraries, links to other museums and libraries, and directories and databases related to biodiversity.
- Paleontology Research Guide: Includes the history of the National Museum of Natural History's Paleobiology department, a list of the department's blogs, websites about dinosaurs, and databases of paleontological collections.
- Rare Books on Natural History Research Guide: Resources about digitized rare books and exhibitions at the Smithsonian and other valuable rare book information.
- Tropical Research and Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute History Research Guide: Resources related to tropical flora and fauna (plants and animals), as well as international organizations and associations related to scientific tropical research.
- Vertebrate Zoology Research Guide: Links to many digitized Natural History Library resources about animals and their taxonomy, as well as websites and databases related to mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and marine life.
- Zoology and Conservation Biology Research Guide: Resources related to animal care and conservation, as well as links to related organizations and associations.
Research Resources at the Smithsonian
- Research Resources at SI (SI staff): Links to Smithsonian resources for data management, grants research, Smithsonian Research Online, and other shared resources of interest to SI Researchers.
Last Updated September 8, 2022