The Smithsonian Libraries offers services and collections covering the breadth of topics investigated by our museums and research centers. Library staff offer trainings and workshops for the SI community to support the use of and access to our resources.
Below is our list of currently available live and recorded trainings. We would be happy to schedule additional training for you or your group on these and other library/research topics. Please send a request to AskaLibrarian@si.edu outlining your training needs and Library staff will contact you.
Orientation to the Smithsonian Libraries for Teleworkers
This brief orientation equips participants with the basics to get started accessing and using the Smithsonian Libraries resources and services remotely. Perfect for new staff, interns, fellows, or anyone who is teleworking and wants a refresher. No registration required.
A recorded General Orientation to Smithsonian Libraries: Telework Edition is now available!
Upcoming interactive, online orientations with live instructor with Q&A time; 30 minutes in duration:
- Date: Wednesday, August 12th, 10:00 a.m. EDT. Instructor: Nilda Lopez. Access: Zoom Meeting, https://bit.ly/2ONolco; Meeting ID: 930 6477 3669; Password: 351739
- Date: Wednesday, August 19th, 10:00 a.m. EDT. Instructor: Alex Reigle. Access: Zoom Meeting, https://bit.ly/3jmUntP; Meeting ID: 964 2293 0968; Password: 711748
- Date: Wednesday, August 26th, 10:00 a.m. EDT. Instructor: Baasil Wilder. Access: Zoom Meeting, https://bit.ly/30xjbGJ; Meeting ID: 946 2522 4649; Password: 785997
Orientación a las Bibliotecas Smithsonian para Teletrabajadores (en Español)
Entrenamiento en español para teletrabajo. Las Bibliotecas Smithsonian ofrecen servicios y colecciones que cubren la amplia gama de temas investigados por nuestros museos y centros de investigación. Esta breve orientación de 45 minutos equipa a los participantes con los conceptos básicos para comenzar a acceder y utilizar los recursos y servicios de las Bibliotecas de forma remota. Perfecto para el nuevo personal, pasantes, becarios o cualquier persona que esté teletrabajando y quiera un repaso. No se requiere registro. Versión interactiva en línea con instructor Ricardo Beteta Bond con ayuda de Apolinar Guerrero. Duración de una hora.
- Fecha: Miércoles 19 agosto, 9:30 a.m. Panama (10:30 a.m. EDT). Hosts: Ricardo Beteta Bond, Apolinar Guerrero. Access: Zoom meeting: https://bit.ly/3jKKPZH; Meeting ID: 963 5471 4552; Passcode: 0TpEBF
Introduction to Artstor
The Libraries provides access to Artstor, the most extensive image resource for educational and scholarly use which brings together media from the world’s museums, archives, scholars, and artists. This orientation introduces users to the platform, its content, and possibilities for use. Suitable for all staff, fellows, and interns.
- Date: Tuesday, August 18, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. EDT
- Instructor: Jacqueline Protka
- Access: Zoom Meeting: https://bit.ly/30zyH4R; Meeting ID: 940 8388 8078; Password: 346635
Zotero Part 1: Getting Started
Zotero is a free, easy-to-use program to help you collect, manage, and cite research sources. This training will show you how to set up your Zotero account, start saving items to your Zotero library, and use tools to add citations to your own documents. Suitable for all staff, fellows, and interns.
- Date: Thursday, August 20, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT
- Instructor: Trina Brown
- Access: Zoom Meeting: https://bit.ly/3fUURFg; Meeting ID: 952 0963 3748; Password: 625025
Zotero Part 2: Tips & Tricks
If you already use the free citation manager Zotero, but you’re looking for ways to use it more effectively, this training is for you! We will cover topics like advanced saving and citing, connecting citations to files saved in Dropbox or OneDrive, and creating group libraries to collaborate with colleagues, along with time for Q&A. Recommended: Attend Zotero Part 1: Getting Started or have some experience using Zotero before attending this training.
- Date: Thursday, August 27, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT
- Instructor: Trina Brown
- Access: Zoom Meeting: https://bit.ly/2WQYJPY; Meeting ID: 967 4413 9991; Password: 032637
Introduction to the Biodiversity Heritage Library (Recorded)
The Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) is the world’s largest open access digital library for biodiversity literature and archives. It operates as a worldwide consortium of natural history, botanical, research, andnational libraries working together, digitizing the natural history literature held in their collections and making it freely available.
- A recorded Introduction to the Biodiversity Heritage Library is now available!
Altmetric Explorer (Recorded)
Altmetric Explorer for Institutions is a web-based platform that enables users to search, monitor, and measure conversations surrounding the research outputs of authors, research groups/departments, and institutions. In this 1 hour training, you’ll learn: the basics of altmetrics, how to search the Altmetric Explorer database, and how to use these metrics to communicate the broad impact of your work. The Altmetric Explorer training was held on May 20th, 2020, but a recording of that training is available below:
- Recorded training link: https://bit.ly/2YzYSIN (Password: 0T*842$2)
Pivot Grants/Funding Database Training (Recorded)
A recording of the June 2020 demonstration of the powerful Pivot grants database is now available. Learn how to discover, save, and manage grant / funding opportunities from hundreds of organizations.
- Recorded training link: https://bit.ly/3fbYOoK
Smithsonian Map Collections Database (Recorded)
Smithsonian Map Collections is an online database identifying more than 43,000 of these maps, which date from the 1820s to the present. Currently the database is only available to Smithsonian staff with network access, and not to the public. For remote access to the database, go to the SI Telework webpage and enter the URL si-maps.si.edu in the box in the upper left corner. If you are on the Smithsonian network, you can reach the database from the Smithsonian Libraries’ Research Tools A-Z list.
- Recorded training link: https://bit.ly/32o7aWB
Other Training Opportunities: Get a Deeper Understanding of Scholarly Databases
Go deeper in understanding the content and searching of Libraries' databases. This is a sampling of training available from our vendors. Look for “Learning” or “Help” sections on databases listed on the Libraries' A-Z List of e-Journals & Databases.