Earth and Space Sciences Research Guide
- Earth Sciences: Remote Sensing
- Earth Sciences: Smithsonian Institution Resources
- Space Sciences: Astronomy
- Space Sciences: Astrophysics
- Space Sciences: Commercial
- Space Sciences: Exploration
- Space Sciences: General
- Space Sciences: History of Space Sciences
- Space Sciences: Organizations
- Space Sciences: Smithsonian Institution Resources
Welcome to the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' Earth and Space Sciences Research Guide. This is a select list of mostly freely-available resources for students, teachers, and researchers to learn about earth and space science. This guide compliments our Astronomy Research Guide. Please feel free to Contact Us with suggestions for additional resources or with questions.
Earth Sciences: Remote Sensing
- Canadian Centre for Remote Sensing: Analysis of environmental change using remote sensing techniques.
- National Space Science Data Center: Analyzes and synthesizes data from NASA's space exploration program, models and computer-generated imagery.
- TELSAT Guide: Guide to satellite information.
Earth Sciences: Smithsonian Institution Resources
- Department of Mineral Sciences, National Museum of Natural History
- Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Space Sciences: Astronomy
- Astronomy Picture of the Day: Each day a different image of photographof our universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by an astronomer.
- Dictionary of Nomenclature of Celestial Objects
- Mars 2001 Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS)
- NASA Astroyphysics Data System: Digital library for physics, astrophysics and instrumentation.
- New Horizons Pluto Mission
Space Sciences: Astrophysics
- Astrophysics at Princeton: Astrophysical research undertaken at Princeton University.
- European Southern Observatory: European astronomical observatory located in Chile.
- Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Library: Radio astronomy observatory operated under the auspices of the National Science Foundation.
- Physics and Astronomy News
- Space Telescope Science Institute Library: Library resources of the Space Telescope Science Institute.
Space Sciences: Commercial
- Astronautics Corporation: Commercial products related to aerospace - commercial site.
Space Sciences: Exploration
- Cassini/Huygens Mission to Saturn Information: Latest information from NASA on the Cassini/Huygens Mission.
- Hubble Space Telescope: Site dedicated to the Hubble Space Telescope.
- Human Space Flight: Latest information from NASA on human space flight.
- Mars Exploration Information: Latest information from NASA on Mars exploration.
- Mars Rovers Information: Latest information from NASA on the Mars Rovers mission.
- Messenger: Current information about the Messinger Mission to Mercury.
- Solar System Simulator: NASA site that allows the site user to see the planets as our space craft see them.
- Stardust Mission Information: Latest information on the Stardust mission from NASA.
Space Sciences: General
- Earth and Sky: Award-winning daily science radio series.
- Important historical documents from NASA: Documents published by NASA since the 1950's.
- Mars Probe Images: Provides images and research information from the current Mars probe - commercial site.
- NASA Home Page: NASA's mission as a leader in aero- and astronautics.
- NASA Shuttle Web: News about the Space Shuttle program.
- NASA Technical Reports: NASA's collection of technical reports in aero- and astronautics.
- Space Information: News about space exploration - commercial site.
- Space Medicine: A review of NASA'sresearch in space medicine, under Project Mercury.
- Space Today: Provides daily information on space exploration and related issues.
Space Sciences: History of Space Sciences
- NASA History: History of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and their ongoing mission in aero- and astronautics.
- NASA History Office Home Page: Historical overview of NASA.
- NASM Space History Oral History Project: Interviews with historic figures in space flight.
- National Air and Space Museum's (NASM) Space History Department: Information about the Space History Department at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM).
Space Sciences: Organizations
- Aerospace Corporation: The Aerospace Corporation is a federally funded research and development center in support of national-security, civil and commercial space programs - commercial site.
- Aerospace Legacy Foundation: The goal of the Aerospace Legacy Foundation is to preserve Southern California's aviation and aerospace heritage.
- Association of Space Explorers: The Association of Space Explorers is an international nonprofit professional and educational organization of over 300 individuals from 30 nations who have flown in space.
- European Space Agency: Comprised of fourteen member states which promote cooperation in space research and technology for scientific purposes.
- Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI): The Lunar and Planetary Institute is a research institute that provides support services to NASA and the planetary science community, and conducts planetary science research under the leadership of staff scientists, visiting researchers, and postdoctoral fellows.
- MIT Center for Space Research: MIT's major space research programs in cosmology, astrophysics and flight experiments.
- Satellite Industry Association: The Satellite Industry Association (SIA) is a Washington D.C. based trade association representing the leading global satellite operators, service providers, manufacturers, launch services providers, and ground equipment suppliers.
- Space Foundation: The Space Foundation is one of the world's premier nonprofit organizations supporting space activities, space professionals and education.
- The Mars Society: The Mars Society's goal is the exploration and settlement of Mars.
Space Sciences: Smithsonian Institution Resources
- Air andSpace Magazine: Research and popular subjects in aviation and space history.
- Featured Exhibitions at the National Air and Space Museum: Information on current exhibitions at NASM.
- National Air and Space Society