Natural and Physical Sciences Research Guides
Welcome to the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' Natural and Physical Sciences Research Guides. These research guides compiled by Smithsonian Libraries staff will lead you to additional websites for researching the natural & physical sciences.
- Botany and Horticulture - Includes links to many plant databases and gardening catalogs, as well as Botany and Horticulture libraries.
- Anthropology - Includes Smithsonian and other web-based resources related to archaeology, ethnology, anthropology, Native American studies, and linguistics.
- Chesapeake Bay Research - Includes information and research about the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem, resources on invasive species, and links to environmental research libraries, organizations, and agencies.
- History of Science and Technology - This is a comprehensive list of freely-available resources for students and researchers to learn more about the many fields within the discipline and some of its major personalities.
- COVID-19 Funding - This web guide was developed for Smithsonian staff and includes tips for finding funding, links to grant databases and curated funding opportunities. It includes a link to a comprehensive database on COVID-19 related citations.
- Rare Books on Natural History - The Cullman Library holds the Smithsonian's collection of rare books in anthropology and the natural sciences and recommends websites and resources for research.
- Natural History - Includes resources from the National Museum of Natural History and its libraries, links to other museums and libraries, and directories and databases related to biodiversity.
- Vertebrate Zoology - Includes links to many digitized Natural History Library resources about animals and their taxonomy, as well as websites and databases related to mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and marine line.
- Entomology - Includes links to information about the National Museum of Natural History Entomology collection, illustrations and databases about insects, and links to projects related to butterflies and arachnids.
- Paleontology - Includes the history of and blogs from the National Museum of Natural History Paleobiology department, websites about dinosaurs, and databases of paleontological collections.
- Invertebrate Zoology - Includes National Museum of Natural History resources about the small crustaceans copepods and the cerion land snails, links to C. Elegans related databases, and information about resources related to many other invertebrates such as corrals and sea urchins.
- Geosciences - Includes information about National Museum of Natural History's Global Volcanism and Antarctic Meteorite programs, links to many geoscience datasets, and databases about minerals and rocks.
- Maps - Links to map collections, and cartographic dictionary and glossary resources.
- Zoology and Conservation Biology - Includes resources related to animal care and conservation, as well as links to related organizations and associations.
- Tropical Research and STRI History Research Guide - Includes resources related to tropical flora and fauna (plants and animals), as well as international organizations and associations related to scientific research.
Need more resources? Contact your Branch Library.